Sunday, March 3, 2013

WK 4 Insightful Communication


     Many people like to think they are effective communicators whether they possess the skills necessary or not.  For the most part, I think many individuals are not even aware of all the intricate parts of effective communication let alone what type of communicator they are.  Personality also influences what kind of communicator a person is and the communication skills they are most comfortable and successful with (Beccari, n.d.).  After taking all three of the communication quizzes I was both pleased and surprised by my findings.  I found that communication does not seem to be something I worry about though I am more confident in some communication situations than others categorizing me with mild communication anxiety (Communication Anxiety Inventory, n.d.).  I maintain a good balance between respect and consideration for others’ viewpoints and argue fairly classifying me as moderate on the Verbal Aggressiveness Scale (n.d.).  I also found that I am a people-oriented listener, which can affect judgment if to emotionally involved and trusting of others (Listening Styles Profile, n.d.).  I discovered that others evaluated me and found the same results I found out for myself.  I was most surprised by this.  I actually expected others to view my communication skills the complete opposite of what I saw myself to be.
            I found that communication is best when both parties find common ground in their communication styles, which is similar to being culturally competent by understanding those we are communicating with (Beccari, n.d.).  Another insight I found is that I think I sometimes take communication for granted, by assuming that everyone understands what I am saying all the time.  In management I have learned how to ask people if they understand what I am saying, but it is much easier to skip that part sometimes, and not because I don’t care, but because I get comfortable in relationships and the assumption that I am just understood.          
References
Beccari, B. (n.d.). Express Yourself To Success » What Communication Style do You Have? Express Yourself To Success. Retrieved January 28, 2013, from http://www.expressyourselftosuccess.com/what-communication-style-do-you-have/
Communication Anxiety Inventory. (n.d.). Retrieved January 28, 2013, from http://mym.cdn.laureate-media.com/2dett4d/Walden/EDUC/6165/04/mm/quiz/quiz_communication/index.html
Listening Styles Profile. (n.d.). Retrieved January 28, 2013, from http://mym.cdn.laureate-media.com/2dett4d/Walden/EDUC/6165/04/mm/quiz/quiz_listening/index.html
Verbal Aggressiveness Scale. (n.d.). Retrieved January 28, 2013, from http://mym.cdn.laureate-media.com/2dett4d/Walden/EDUC/6165/04/mm/quiz/quiz_verbal/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment