Sunday, August 4, 2013

Evaluating Impacts On Professional Practices


     Growing up I have been faced with prejudice, stereotypes, and racism.  Throughout my time and work here at Walden I have discovered a whole new list of isms, some I have experienced while others I now have a name for.  Recently, I have experienced ageism…with a new understanding of what it is.  I am older, but do not always look my age and I have found that parents and staff look and respond to me differently when they do find out my true age.  I feel like I am respected more and that what I say is taken more seriously.  I have not really let this affect my work with children (surprisingly if you are older then them you are just old), however it does impact communication with their parents.  While, I try to maintain a professional appearance and communications I still find that my age and experience seem to add another level of comfort and trust in building those relationships (when it is shared)…not with all, but I am surprised by how many.  I remain professional regardless of their initial reactions to my age and believe that any initial judgments, stereotypes, and ideas about my ability as an early childhood professional disappear quite quickly as I build relationships with them.  It is already so hard to achieve some level of respect in the field from anyone.  Other educators don’t feel early childhood is a respectful field and a majority of parents think we are babysitters when they first begin.  Society’s view, family belief’s, and the surrounding communities views on early childhood programs have such a defining impact on how early childhood is viewed and it’s importance. 

1 comment:

  1. It’s a myth that old people can’t learn new things or won’t be productive (Harris, 2011). This is how I feel sometimes because I too am “Older”. This does not mean we are set in our ways, I learn something new everyday. What has come with age is keeping an open hearts well as an open mind. We do have much to offer, with age comes knowledge.

    Harris, S. (2011, Winter). Do not let them know you are OLD. Virginia Tech "Research" Magazine, 26--31. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the Academic Search Complete database:

    ReplyDelete