Sunday, December 16, 2012

Welcoming Families From Around The World


During my time as an early childhood professional I have been introduced to so many cultures and have learned so much.  Recently I have been informed that we will be enrolling a family from Russia.  Five ways I would prepare myself to be culturally responsive are:          
1.     To research child development programs in Russia.
2.     To research sociology and family structure in their country.
3.     To research a brief history of the country, political beliefs, wars, leaders, religion.
4.     Provide newsletters and important information in their native language.
5.     Take the time to learn a few words in their language like: hello, goodbye, my name is, hungry, toilet, etc., anything that may help the child feel welcome and valued in the program.  Always ask how to say it properly…or am I saying that right?
I could only hope that the research will provide me enough background to communicate respectfully, aware of cultural differences and beliefs that may be different from my own and the culture they are coming into and that I am making every effort to accommodate their needs and providing a safe, respectful environment for their children.  Research would possibly provide insight into behaviors both from the children and the family that I may not understand.  Research and understanding really give a person the ability to keep an open mind and diffuse misconceptions and assumptions.  Taking the time to translate and offer newsletters and information is beneficial to both parties.  It lets the family know that you value the information you are sharing and that you are making an effort to include the family in the program in as many ways as possible.  Making an effort to learn basic language can help build lines of communication, comfort, and openness to share.  I believe that making any effort to learn about a family and their culture is appreciated easing the apprehensions of a new environment, confidence that you are there to help, and welcoming them rather than assimilating them into your program.

3 comments:

  1. I would be ecstatic at the opportunity to add diversity to my program. What fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal,
    Your approaches to be culturally responsive towards the child from Russia and their family were impressive. I loved # 5, how you would learn some key words of the language. Thank-you for reminding me how important this is. I think that is an important piece of the puzzle in being culturally responsive to families! Language is key!!!
    A great post!
    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!!!! I never thought about researching the early childhood programs for the country I chose! Thanks for the insight! I bet researching programs would give great insight to how to accommodate the individual needs of families from other countries.

    ReplyDelete