Sunday, January 20, 2013

Lie To Me: Micro-expression!


Lie To Me (Netflix, n.d.) is a television series about a doctor who is hired by various state and federal organizations to detect whether individuals and criminals are lying or telling the truth.  In the opening scene (without sound), a man is observing a prisoner and talking comfortably, displaying confidence and control, which he does in all the relationships in this episode.  The prisoner is quiet and looks defensive and irritated by the conversation. This man’s business partner is a woman who displays comfort and confidence in her relationships on the show, but also compassion. 
At this point in the show based on body language and expression, I assumed that the plot was about proving innocence or guilt based on observation of body language of the accused.  A big clue was how the close ups of the characters isolated single body motions or facial expressions.  Once the sound was on I found the show called these micro-expressions.  Micro-expressions made sense to me and probable in theory, however just like verbal communication, I believe people can lie with body language and expression too, though the premise of this television show was that micro-expressions do not lie.  So I looked it up.  Micro- expressions are involuntary facial expressions that last a fraction of a second, but reveal the true emotion of a person despite their efforts to mask their true feelings or thoughts (Wordnik, n.d.).  I may continue to watch this series, it was rather interesting and all about communication. 
I absolutely believe my assumptions would have been more correct if I had been watching a show I knew well.  I think this is true in our communication and relationships with others.  We listen, understand, and communicate better with individuals we a familiar with.

References
Netflix (n.d.). Lie to Me Online | Netflix. Netflix. Retrieved January 18, 2013, from http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Lie_to_Me/70140406?trkid=7096710
Wordnik (n.d.). microexpression - definition and meaning. Wordnik. Retrieved January 18, 2013, from http://www.wordnik.com/words/microexpression

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this show! I am so disappointed that it isn't on anymore. The ability to read the micro-expressions/body language is an amazing skill! I believe body language says a lot of emotion and can tell a story in itself! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I could not remember the name of this show to save my life! I LOVED it too!!! I wanted to mention it in my post, but could not come up with them name! Great example of what we are talking about this week, thanks!

    ReplyDelete