Sunday, January 27, 2013

Cross-Cultural Communication


Effective communication helps us understand individuals and situations a little better as well as builds trust, respect, helps with problem solving, and creates environments that promote creative thinking (Effective Communication, n.d.).  An effective communicator is skilled at being an active listener, is affluent at nonverbal communication, able to manage stress, and has high emotional awareness (Effective Communication, n.d.).  Seems pretty simple right?  But communication isn’t just questions and answers.  Despite how simple communication seems to be, we are often misunderstood by those we are trying to communicate with when our communication skills are not up to par (Effective Communication, n.d.).  Building effective communication skills makes it easier to connect with children, families, friends, colleagues, and yes different cultures.
Some of the cultural differences in communication (other than language) are time and space, fate and personal responsibility, face-to-face saving, and nonverbal communication (LeBaron, 2003).  These are the things that I find myself learning and changing (communicating differently) when communicating cross culturally.  I try to be aware of spatial comfort zones and that others may have different perspectives based on the environment in which they were raised.  I also have to consider that my self-image may be viewed differently than I perceive myself.  For example, I may not look old enough to have respect from a cultural standpoint despite my position.  This means at times I must make it clear that I understand what I am being asked and respond appropriately and culturally (without being arrogant or superior).  It also important that I read nonverbal communication and include this observation in my response, while understanding that some basic body communication may mean something completely different in another culture.  Communication studies have been quite an eye opening experience and I have become even more cautious in my interactions with others and definitely more concise and clear.
References
LeBaron, M. (2003, July). Cross-Cultural Communication | Beyond Intractability. Beyond
Intractability. Retrieved January 27, 2013, from http://www.beyondintractability.org/bi-essay/cross-cultural-communication
Effective Communication: Improving Communication Skills in Business and Relationships.
(n.d.). Helpguide helps you help yourself and others. Retrieved January 25, 2013, from http://www.helpguide.org/mental/effective_communication_skills.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment