Wednesday, June 26, 2013

What I Have Learned!

One hope I have when I think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds, coming from a diverse background myself is to ensure that they and their families do not experience the adversity I and my family faced trying to…not conform, but find our place in the surrounding culture and society.
            One goal I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice is to challenge early childhood educators in the field to challenge their thinking personally in the best interest of children, as well as challenge their thinking in what they want to gain from the field of early childhood personally.  I feel this way because we choose our profession for different reasons…is it for the children or for ourselves?  What are we getting out of our job personally?  Is it to make up for our own shortcomings, do we genially care for the children and families we are in contact with, or and are we concerned about the future? 

            I would like to genuinely thank everyone for their comments and insight for discussions and blogs.  I have learned so much.  I look forward to the last classes we will spend together.  Your input and insight have been invaluable in my journey to becoming a true anti-bias early childhood professional.  I hope that I have been as influential in your education as you all have been to me and I wish everyone the best in your future endeavors as an early childhood professional! May our paths cross in the future outside of school in the best interest of children.

2 comments:

  1. Crystal, I think we all have to "find our place" in society know matter where we come from. We all need to feel and believe we belong. This is a human necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crystal,
    I think it's important that those of a different culture feel welcome, safe, and loved. I agree with what Tammy said above and I think she raises a good point- we all have to find our place in society no matter where we come from. I have really enjoyed reading all your blogs and discussions!

    ReplyDelete